February 18, 2008

Saintes Maries de la Mer and La Camargue

Welcome to Saintes Maries de la Mer, capital of La Camargue

Saintes-Maries de la Mer is smaller than Arles. It is easily accessible by bus from Arles, although the departure times are not very frequent. I think that I walked through all of the town within half an hour. I was able to kill about two hours of time by smelling soaps on display in the shops and taking lots of photographs on the beach.







La Camargue is famous for the white horses, black bulls, and pink flamingos.




I didn’t have to walk very far from Saints Maries de la Mer to spot pink flamingos. The pond was full of them. 



Then just a little further down the road, I saw white horses. I never saw black bulls close enough to town, although I saw several from the bus on the road trip over. 




On the walk back to town, I veered off the main road and saw more horses, although they weren’t all white. They walked over to me and allowed me to pet them. They were so pretty and so gentle.  




No comments: