February 22, 2008

Antibes, France

Antibes was remarkable. I loved the old town and was further enchanted by the surround of blue sea. I was stopped several times for directions, or by solicitors, or by beggars. Everytime I would give the same answer, “Je ne parle pas francais.” I don’t speak French.


The beaches here are sandy


The Flower Man!

First, I walked to Juan-les-Pins as I saw from the map that it was close enough to walk to. As it was after noon already, none of the shops were open in Juan-les-Pins. I couldn’t make out if the reason was because of siesta or because this town was known primarily for its nightlife so therefore, none of the shops would open until later in the evening.




I happened upon a park near the old port where I stopped to sit on the bench in the sun. Before me was a group of older French men playing a game of Les Boules, or Petanque. I sat there for at least half an hour watching them play and trying to learn how the game was played. I don’t think I’ve got all the details figured out, but I observed that there was a little ball that needed to get hit by the bigger balls, which the players threw. Then after that, I just saw the bigger balls being thrown and it seemed as if the aim was to knock another big ball out of the way. It could be that the aim was at the smaller ball, but I couldn’t be certain of it.


More sights of Antibes...








No comments: