February 28, 2008

Eze Village, France


I saw Eze Village in the France train timetable book that was given to me by the ticket agent in Arles. There was an aerial picture of Eze, showcasing it as a village sitting atop a mountain with the sea surrounding it on at least one side. I thought it looked stunning and thought I would pay a visit. I also learned that it was an easy bus trip from Nice for only 1EUR.





Eze Village is just as picturesque as St. Paul de Vence, while maintaining its own charm. The walls and streets are just as stony and just as medieval feeling. There are few tourist shops in Eze Village and its biggest attraction is the Exotic Garden which cost 5EUR for entering. 


 












While St. Paul boasts a view of a countryside below its walls, the Mediterranean Sea slaps at the base of Eze. The view from the top of Eze was stunning, even with the overcast sky that stayed throughout most of my visit. This is the first time I have seen sky and sea blend into one with no clear indication of the horizon line. 






The church at Eze is the most alluring church I have seen in all my travels through Europe. The exterior makes the church look more imposing than it actually is. The interior was as small as a chapel in the Medici family, but with the painted woodwork peeling away at the moldings and pews that were worn in all the right places, there was something very unpretentious and genuinely holy about this church.






No comments: