August 26, 2007

Rome, Italy

Itinerary:
Day 1: Colosseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps
Day 2: Vatican City, St. Peter's Cathedral
Day 3: Pantheon, Fountain of Four Rivers

26 August, 2007
I am in Rome.  I love this city.  My memories of Rome include two very sexy and good looking carabianiere checking me out as they walked by me, the bartender in our hotel who had a crush on me, the best roasted potatoes I’ve ever tasted, window shopping with my instructor/tour guide on Via Condotti, having lunch in the elaborate McDonald’s near the Spanish Steps, and the relentless heat.

27 August, 2007
I heard the Swiss guards, who guard the Vatican, are the best looking men in the world.  She said that they had to meet specific requirements to be a Swiss guard which is why they’re so good looking.  These requirements include:  minimum height requirement (I forget how tall), the ability to speak at least three languages, they must be single, and someone did the judging of their looks to pass the “ridiculously good-looking” test.  My assessment of the guards is that they were not the best looking men in the world.  Not even close.  I found the security guards inside the Vatican much more attractive. 

Michelangelo’s ceiling in the Sistine Chapel is always something to marvel at.  A guard inside the chapel kept repeating the line, “No photo, no camera” but it appeared that my fingers didn’t understand his accent when they snapped a couple of pictures of the ceiling and the fresco of “Judgement Day” on my camera.

I was also excited to see Raphael’s “School of Athens” again, which is one of my favorite frescoes.  Ten years ago, my tour mate and I broke the rules by touching this fresco.  No one caught us, but I’m still nostalgic that my hand had once touched the work of Raphael. 

Toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain to ensure your speedy return to Rome.

After our day out to ooh and ahh over the amazing engineer work at the Pantheon, finding disappointment at the closure of the Fountain of the Four Rivers at Piazza Navona, and making a surprise discovery of a Valentino fashion exhibit at Museo dell’Ara Pacis.

No comments: