August 23, 2007

Positano, Italy

I used my 24HR bus pass again to go to Positano, where I spent the day at the beach.  I was interested in Positano because parts of “Under the Tuscan” was filmed here.  The town was very cute and the shops were very adorably charming and sophisticated.  I paid 2.50EUR for a 1.5L bottle of water, which killed me because 2.50EUR can buy me a meal or 20 - 2L bottles of Aura water from the supermarket across from my hostel.  But I couldn’t find a fountain and I didn’t want to be stuck on the beach all day without water.

I spent about 4-5 hrs on the pebbly beach, mostly laying out and reading and sweating.  I can’t believe how much I sweat just laying on the blanket.  There were beads dripping off my neck and I wondered where they came from because either I hadn’t dipped in the water yet, or it had been an hour since I took a dip.  Then sometimes I felt something itch at my leg and I thought it was a fly.  When I felt something crawl down my leg, I was shocked to see a bead of water and wondered where the liquid came from!

Because I didn’t buy a bus ticket before going to the beach, I was forced to beach through siesta in anticipation that all Tabacchi shops would be closed until 4PM.  At about 3:30 I made my way back up the hill to the bus stop.  I bought a one-way bus ticket to Sorrento since my tourist card had expired.  I didn’t have to wait long for the bus, but I did end up in standing room only, at the front of the bus. 

No comments: