July 24, 2007

Hallstatt, Austria




Is Hallstatt worth a day trip from Salzburg?  Absolutely.  It's an easy trip and you won't be disappointed.  If you go by train, as I did, you have to take a ferry boat across the lake in order to get to the actual village, and the same ferry takes you back to the train station.


The train ride takes you through the Salzkammergut, a picturesque region of green, grassy hills, blue lakes, mountains, (depending on the weather) gray clouds, and rain.  White clouds that look like fog float around the mountains.  Bavarian cottages and homes dot the hillsides.

I was so taken with its charm that I didn't care it rained the day of my visit.  I just wanted to take in the first view of this tiny toy town across the Hallstattersee (the lake).  After capturing all the pictures I could think of, I caught the early train back to Salzburg.
 
Hallstattersee

Central Square



Feel free to drink from the fountains!

View of the Catholic Parish Church

No comments: