July 25, 2007

Cultural Highlight: Siesta

About ninety percent of the shops are closed.  Siesta.  This is a common practice all throughout Italy, closing down work between the hours of one and four in the afternoon, when the sun is hottest, to lunch at home and to nap before returning to work again.  I am a regular participant of siesta, although I have seldom taken it in the comforts of my bed in the hostel.  Usually, I find a grassy park with some shade and lay down on the grass or a bench, prop my head on my backpack, stretch out my legs, close my eyes, and give in to slumber allowing myself to relax in the shade protecting me from the sun that’s emitting 35 degrees Celsius (about 95 degrees Fahrenheit).  Today, I found a bench.  I napped for nearly an hour before I woke up and found my way to the gelateria.

No comments: